GETTING TIRED JUST GOT HARDER ASICS NEW GLIDERIDE™ SHOE BRINGS ENERGY SAVING TECHNOLOGY TO MORE RUNNERS
RELEASE DATE: 2019.09.07
GETTING TIRED JUST GOT HARDER
ASICS NEW GLIDERIDE™ SHOE BRINGS ENERGY SAVING
TECHNOLOGY TO MORE RUNNERS
· ASICS increases the pace in pioneering new energy saving shoes with latest innovation: GLIDERIDE™ - scientifically proven to reduce energy loss1
· The latest introduction to ASICS’ energy saving family follows the sellout debut of the METARIDE™ shoe at the Tokyo marathon earlier this year.
· A leading team of experts put ASICS’ newest technology and theory in running performance to the test in an epic race with no finish line on the Bonneville Salt Flats
[SEPTEMBER 7, 2019 – KOBE, JAPAN] - Saving runners energy: ASICS has today revealed how the eagerly awaited GLIDERIDE™ has successfully adapted the GUIDESOLE™ technology, first introduced in the METARIDE™ concept, and placed it on the feet of more runners in a unique race featuring participants of different abilities from around the world.
AN ENERGY REVOLUTION
The human-centric GUIDESOLE™ technology is an ergonomic precision-shaped curved sole that reduces energy loss. It works by minimizing lower leg movement through the stride - giving a feeling of effortless coasting - to make it easier for runners to keep going for longer.
Increasing the accessibility of the GUIDESOLE™ technology was the inspiration behind the new shoe. Engineered by a team of scientific experts and designers at ASICS Institute of Sport Science (ISS), the development of GLIDERIDE™ was fast-tracked to get the new technology to more runners as quickly as possible. 
The result? The new GLIDERIDE™ has taken the category-leading GUIDESOLE™ technology a further step forward. Whilst providing maximum energy saving, it is lighter, with a less extreme curve and more cushioning than the concept shoe - increased comfort.
In tests, GLIDERIDE™ has been scientifically proven to:
· Reduce total energy loss at the ankle joint, where runners expend the most energy
· Improve cushioning for increased comfort
· Reduce weight while maintaining stability to provide both performance and protection
Kenichi Harano, Executive Officer and Senior General Manager at ISS, said: “The positive reception and speed at which runners adopted the new technology spurred us on to develop GLIDERIDE™ in record time. With no compromise on efficiency, it offers a cushier ride that we believe has the potentialto help runners of every level significantly improve performance to go further than they thought possible”.
GET AHEAD WITH THE CURVE
To demonstrate what energy saving really means for runners, ASICS put the theory to the test in a unique race on the Bonneville Salt Flats, Utah on 7 September 2019. The race, designed by an expert team of sports scientists, RUNKEEPER™ data analysts, elite coaches and engineers saw 30 runners of different abilities from around the world put the latest technology and theory in running performance to the test. Participants explored how energy saving technology can assist them in improving performance in the ultimate battle against themselves in a race without a finish line.
“We effectively took our research lab from Kobe to the Salt Flats to understand directly from runners how they can benefit from our energy saving technology in a real-life situation,” commented Harano. “What we learnt proves the importance of optimizing energy and will fuel our next generation technologies beyond footwear.”
Yasuhito Hirota, ASICS President and COO, said: “This latest innovation is a major milestone in achieving our goal to make our energy saving technology available to all runners. In Spring 2020, we will launch the next shoe in the family, EVORIDE™. And it doesn’t finish there. ASICS commitment to this new category extends beyond footwear with the planned introduction of further innovations to our in-store and on-line services”.
Follow ##ASICSEternalRun / #GLIDERIDE to join the conversation.
GLIDERIDE™ footwear will be available for men and women from ASICS retail and online stores as well as specialist running outlets globally from 27 September 2019. Visit www.ASICS.com for more information.
- ENDS -
NOTES TO EDITORS
Please see the following link to download all media assets, as listed below:
· Press Release
· Product Factsheet
· Product & Highlight Imagery
· Expert Bios & Quote Book
· Eternal Run Runner Profiles & Images
· Eternal Run Images (selects only, final to come Sep 13)
· Eternal Run B-Roll & Results Press Release (to come Sep 13)
GLIDERIDE™ features the following proprietary technologies:
1. GUIDESOLE™ TECHNOLOGY: curved midsole construction helps minimize movement in the area where most energy is expended; the ankle joint and allows runners to go further, easier and longer. The lower 5mm drop supports the unique rolling movement and feeling of effortless forward motion.
2. FYTEFOAM™ MIDSOLE TECHNOLOGY: durable midsole providing cushioning and maintaining lightweight, with FLYTFOAM PROPEL™ underneath enhancing responsiveness.
3. REARFOOT GEL™ TECHNOLOGY: cushioning under the heel reduces shock when the foot meets the ground.
4. AHAR™ PLUS OUTSOLE: high abrasion rubber on the sole provides durability
5. ENGINEERED MESH UPPER: comfortable upper with reinforcements enhances support and breathability.
 The GLIDERIDE™ shoe is scientifically proven to reduce energy loss at the ankle joint. Research conducted by Progressive Sports Ltd based at Loughborough University UK, July 2019 tested against leading shoes in the performance running category.
- ASICS GLIDERIDE & ER Announcement Press Release
- 717 KB: 717 KB